Marilyn Rosekind pictured with the 2016 Scholarship Winners
The Bay Area Law Enforcement Assistance Fund (BALEAF), established in 1999, provides support for law enforcement families who have had members killed in the line of duty, seriously injured or experienced a catastrophic event/illness.
In 1958, Barry Rosekind, a San Francisco Police Department Motorcycle Officer, lost his life in the line of duty leaving behind a 27-yr. old widow, Marilyn, and two young sons, Mark 3 ½, and Gary 2, whom she single-handedly raised.
Marilyn dedicated her life to her two sons and never wavered in her passionate support of the “Law Enforcement Family.” It was this continued devotion that led her to co-found the Bay Area Law Enforcement Assistance Fund (BALEAF) in 1999. She proudly served as BALEAF’s first President for 10 years and in 2016 established the BALEAF Scholarship Program. Marilyn remained active on the BALEAF Board of Directors until her passing January 2021.
Marilyn’s leadership, dedication and never-ending support of BALEAF were legendary and widely respected throughout the Law Enforcement community.
The Bay Area Law Enforcement Assistance Fund would like to acknowledge and honor Marilyn’s devotion and commitment to law enforcement families with the establishment of the Marilyn Rosekind Memorial Scholarship.
Its Mission is to provide financial assistance for High School graduate dependents of Law Enforcement Families who wish to pursue a course of study at an accredited business/trade School, a two-year college or a four-year college/university.
A Scholarship applicant must be an eligible dependent of a sworn or non-sworn Law Enforcement Agency employee (active, retired or deceased) within the nine Bay Area Counties (San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, Santa Clara, Alameda, Napa, Solano, Sonoma, Contra Costa). Eligible dependents include spouses, children, adopted children and stepchildren.
BALEAF Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis regardless of an applicant's age, gender, sexual orientation, race, creed, national origin, or religious preference.
Recipients are awarded a scholarship based on the scoring received on their written essay. In the event of a tie in scoring, scholarship awards may be based on a lottery selection between all recipients receiving a tie score.
Applicants seeking financial assistance are limited to the receipt of one BALEAF Scholarship Award per year. Applicants may reapply each year.
Scholarship funds are subject to the terms and conditions in this Announcement and are awarded only for educational needs, i.e., tuition, fees, books, housing.
- Applicants must be enrolled in the Fall Semester of the upcoming school year.
- Applicants must be a Full-Time Student carrying a minimum of 12 units per semester or 6 units per quarter.
- Applicants must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Scholarship applicants may be requested to provide copies of their most recent transcripts.
- Student ID Number and proof of enrollment may be required before scholarships are awarded.
THE 2021 APPLICATION PROCESS
- Submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an application.
- We will email the BALEAF application forms along with the essay topic and instructions to you.
- Complete and sign the scholarship application and return via email along with the required essay on the assigned topic.
- The deadline for BALEAF's receipt of the application and essay is May 16, 2021.
- April 16, 2021 - Open for Applications. Requests for BALEAF Scholarship applications are accepted via email at email@example.com. Applications with instructions will be sent out via email upon receipt of an application request.
- May 16, 2021 - Completed Applications & Essays due to BALEAF
- June 21, 2021 - BALEAF 2021 Scholarship recipients announced
The BALEAF Scholarship Program is funded by donations from member law enforcement officers
and community sponsors.
- Applicants are reminded to make sure that the acceptance of a BALEAF Scholarship does not adversely affect any other financial assistance they may receive.